Mental Health Association of Essex County’s Life Transitions for Seniors
(973) 509-9777, Ext. 181
Life Transitions for Seniors (LTS) is a project funded by Partners for Health to empower Montclair area seniors so that they can age gracefully within the community they love, with dignity and independence, with the best health possible, and with a life of meaning and joy. If you believe that LTS offers services from which you may benefit, the following choices are available for you to start your conversation with a program social worker:
- You can call (973-509-9777, Ext. 181) and ask an LTS counselor for an appointment or for more information. Private confidential meetings can be scheduled at the MHAEC offices in Montclair or in other convenient community locations.
- You can come to the main branch of the Montclair Public Library on Wednesday afternoons and ask for the LTS counselor on site.
- For seniors who participate at the YMCA of Montclair on Park Street, LTS counselors will be available on site on Wednesday mornings.
- Counselor can also be available Wednesdays between 2-4pm at Senior Hub at Salvation Army, 13 Trinity Place.
SUPPORT GROUPS AND SELF HELP GROUPS
Care at Home New Jersey Caregiver Support Group
The second Thursday of every month, 1:00-3:00pm and 7:00-9:00pm
Vanguard Medical Group, 271 Grove Ave., Verona, NJ
Meet with our social worker and other caregivers to discuss the challenges of caring for your loved one.
You can also access Care at Home New Jersey’s resource guide here: www.careathomenj.org/resource.php
United Way Caregivers Coalition
Meets monthly at the Verona Community Center (880 Bloomfield Avenue, 1st Floor
Verona, NJ 07044) on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 9:30-11am. Anyone with an interest in caregiving is welcomed.
You can also view some of the Caregivers Coalition’s videos through the links below:
- Episode1 : Caregiving 101 – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=307925
- Episode 2 : The Caregivers Dilemma – Wants VS Needs – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=307952
- Episode 3: Keys to Exceptional Planning – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=307964
- Episode 4: Keeping Your Loved One At Home – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=308078
- Episode 5: Veterans: Are You Getting The Benefits You Deserve? – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=308103
- Episode 6: Hospice Care – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=308130
- Episode 7: Debunking Medicaid Myths –http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=308532
- Episode 8: When Your Special Needs Child Turns 18 – http://vp.telvue.com/preview?id=T01411&video=308560
Aging Substance Abuse Outreach Program
Provides no-fee assessment, counseling, consultation, and referrals for alcohol and other drug programs.
Information and referrals, support groups, self-help classes, and fitness programs.
Dorot University without Walls
Classes, support groups, and holiday celebrations over the telephone by conference call, offered by DOROT, a not-for-profit agency.
NJ Self Help Clearing House
1-800-367-6274, 375 McFarlan St., Dover 07801
www.selfhelpgroup.org (national website)
Comprehensive listing of self help and support groups throughout the state.
ALZHEIMER’S AND DEMENTIA
Alzheimer’s New Jersey
Provides 24 hours a day, seven days a week, information and referrals.
Family Service League
(973)746-0800, 60 S. Fullerton Ave, Montclair, 07042
Senior Care and Activities Center
110 Greenwood Ave., Montclair 07042
NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities
NJ Division for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Vision Loss Alliance of New Jersey